Sunday, July 25, 2010

Unemployment benefits: Helpful for future contributors? Or cause for future bums?

I have mixed feelings about the extension of unemployment benefits. I know there are some people out there desperately trying to find jobs with no luck. I even have a few friends in that situation and I found myself in a similar situation last summer. I was looking for a job for the summer, put in 15 applications, and heard nothing back. The market for jobs, especially in Michigan, is tough. I can see how those looking for jobs may need help from the government so the extension is good. However, I also know that there's people out there that are taking advantage of the government's help. They have the mindset that, "Oh, the government will help me with food, shelter, etc. Why should I do anything when I can have it handed to me?" These people do NOT deserve help from the government. And yes, I know people like this too. Some people deserve the extension on benefits, but some don't. So I have mixed feelings about the issue.

1 comment:

  1. I also have very mixed feelings. There are way too many people taking advantage.
    It's easier to not have to work and still get paid. I know they can't tell people how they can spend their unemployment checks but the thought that people are using this money to buy lottery tickets, cigarettes and alcohol just makes me so mad.

    ReplyDelete